This is Japanese Steamed Eggs or known as 玉子豆腐, 玉子 means eggs and 豆腐 means tofu. Actually it taste likes normal chinese steamed eggs but this one is more smoothy, soft and tastier, the most important is it is very east to do and healthy to eat.
250ml lukewarm water
1tbsp mirin ( 1tbsp sake plus 1tbsp sugar)
3 drops light soya sauce
A pinch of salt
1. Lightly beat eggs, stir in 250ml lukewarm water and mix well.
2. Add in 3 drops soya sauce, a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp mirin, stir well.
3. Drain the eggs mixture and pour it into container. You may see a few bubbles on the surface, use a kitchen tower and wrap over all bubbles for a smooth surface.
4. Steam it over medium high heat for 10 minutes. Served with some light soya sauce.
1. Don't overbeat eggs, just beat it very lightly.
2. Just add lukewarm water but not cold water or you will get bad steamed eggs.
3. Mirin helps to reduce eggs smell and for smooth shinny surface.
4. Salt is for helping coagulated eggs mixture to tofu form while a few drops light soya sauce is for colouring.