Source: Lily Wai Sek Hong, Little Corner Of Mine
150 g cake flour
1/2tsp baking powder
8 egg yolks
300ml coconut milk
1tsp pandan paste
160g castor sugar
9 egg whites
1tbsp castor sugar
1/2tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice or vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degree celcious.
2. Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan and add the castor sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring slowly to disslove the sugar.
3. Set aside to cool. Sieve the cake flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks till creamy foam, add in sifted flour, pandan paste and coconut milk. Mix until the batter is smooth.
5. Whisk the egg whites lightly and add in vinegar/lemon juice/cream of tartar and castor sugar. Continue to whisk until the mixture is stiff. Do not overbeat or allow the mixture to become dry. Set aside.
6.Gently fold half the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and blend well. Fold in the remaining egg whites and work very lightly with a spatula. Make sure the mixture is well mixed. Place the finished mixture in an ungreased chiffon cake mould.
7. Level and bake in the oven until golden brown (about 45-60 minutes). Remove the cake from the oven and invert the mould immediately.
1. Never grease the mould or place baking sheets in the mould or you will get flatten cake.
2. Let it cool at least 1 hour before cut it.
3. Preheat oven at least 15 minutes before start baking.
4. After you mix batter with whipped egg whites, bake immediately.
5. I used vinegar or lemon juice in stead of cream of tartar ---couldn't find at here. You can use self- raising flour in stead of cake flour +baking powder.
6. If you can't find cake flour, use plain flour but reduce 2 tbsp and replace it again with 2tbsp cornflour to reduce their protein/gluten.