Sunday, 2 December 2007
My husband bought too much oranges for me, I can't eat it all, beside my kids want to eat egg tarts. And I get this idea---- find orange tart recipe which a bit likes egg tart with a tint of orange flavour. The result is satisfied, everyone like it and happy to taste it. My kids say it is a sunflower tart.
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tsp water
125ml orange juice
40ml lemon juice
1 whole egg
2 egg yolk
2tsp custard powder
1tsp orange zest
1. Sift flour, baking powder and sugar, rub in butter into bread crumbles. Add in yolk, lemon juice and enough water to firm a dough. Don't overmix it!
2. Refrigerated it for 30 minutes with wrapping it with a cling or aluminium foil.
3. Preheat oven 200 degree celcious.
4. Dissolved custard powder with lemon and orange juice, add in sugar, beaten egg and yplks. Cook it over low heat for about 5-8 minutes for thickening.
5.Remove heat, add 1tbsp butter and orange zest, mix well and leave to cool completely.
6. Blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes, remove weight, bake for another 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
7. Preheat oven 180 degree celcious, pour the custard batter into the baked pastry and bake it for 20-25 minutes. Cool before cutting.
1. When you grate the orange zest, make sure don't get the white part or you will get bitter taste.
2. If you have orange essence, may subtitute it for orange zest.
3. Just simply combine the pastry and never mix it throughly or you will get very hard pie crust.
I have lots of sweet potatoes in my kitchen, don't know what to do but thinking of making something special and not too complicated. I found this recipe and I modified it and reduce the sweetness and everyone enjoy it.
Source: China Express
400g sweet potatoes
150g tapioca flour
50g rice flour
150ml coconut milk
80g sugar ( it is not too sweet, please adjust)
some desicated coconut for topping
1. Steam the sweet potatoes, mashed it and mix in the rest of ingredients except desicated coconut. Combine well.
2. Steam the batter over medium heat for 1/2 hour.
3. Cool completely and cut and top it with desicated coconut.
1. My sweet potato is very sweet, pleas adjust the sweetness as you wished.
2. Please cover the lid to prevent water dripping.
Chocolate chiffon cake is very welcomed by everyone with their softness and chocolate flavour. It is not difficult to do as you thought, if you get the right amounts and doing it in right way will ensure you get soft,moist, fluffy chocolate chiffon cake. I used it to do black forest cake.
Source: Jo's Deli And Bakery, Do What I Like, Lily Wai Sek Hong
A)3 small egg yolks (small egg weight 50g include shell)
110g flour (prefer cake flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
20g cacao powder ( Van Houten)
(B)3 small egg whites (small egg weight 50g include shell)
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven 190 degree celcious.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and cacao powder in a big mixing bowl. Add in egg yolks, sugar, oil and milk, whisk with hand until just combine and sugar is dissolved. Don't over mix.
3. In another clean and dry bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy, add in sugar and whisk at high speed till soft peak. Turn to medium speed and whisk till stiff peak, turn off. Don't overbeat.
4. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the batter, be gently and not deflate the egg whites.
5. Pour into (4) and fold gently .
6. Bake in 8" pan for 40-50 minutes. Invert the cake immediately after out of oven.
1. Be very careful when folding the egg whites or your cake will not rise high and soft as cotton.
2. Don't grease your pan when you bake chiffon cake or sponge cake, I lined my cake mould with parchment paper and it rise very well even it should be bake in aluminium pan.
3. If you don't have cream of tartar, subtitute it with vinegar or lemon juice. It can reduce the alkaline PH and you can beat the egg whites succesfully.
Golden syrup is a kind of syrup which you need it to make mooncake skin. It is not difficult to make by your own but just preferbary making it earlier so that your mooncake skin is easier to handle and it is more fragnant and nicer colour. If you lazy to make it may subtituted it with light corn syrup.
Source: Eupho Cafe, Amy Beh, Mooncake Cookbooks, Yochana
1.2 kg sugar
1 liter water
1. Place all the ingredients into a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to a boil until sugar has dissolved. Lower the heat and continue to boil until syrup turns a light golden colour.
2.Switch off the fire and add the maltose. Stir well to dissolve. Leave to cool and store in clean jars for use as syrup for mooncake pastry.
1.Golden syrup can be prepared months in advance. Allow the syrup to mature with time the longer you keep, the better it is for making the mooncake pastry.
Salted duck eggs is a common chinese preserved food and very easy to make it by your own too. There are many methods to make salted duck eggs likes soaking in brine(salt solution), or cover with salt or even wine addition or chilies etc. Chinese loves to eat it with congee, use the salted dugg yolks to make mooncake filling or biscuits' filling or cooking it with other materials.
25 duck eggs or 30 chicken eggs
8 cups water
2 cups salt
some sichuan pepper (about a pinch)
1/2 cup chinese cooking wine
1. Wash and dry the eggs carefully. Set aside.
2. Put water and salt in a big pot, heat it till salt is dissolved, turn off heat and sprinkle a pinch of sichuan pepper. Set aside and let cool completely.
3. Arrange the eggs in a big pot, mix the cooking wine into the cold brine and pour into the pot to soak the eggs. Seal the pot.
4. Keep it in a shadow and cool place. It is ready after 25 days.
1. Must wash and dry the eggs carefully, they break easily.
2. By adding sichuan pepper and some chinese cooking wine makes your salted eggs taste a bit fragnant and not so smelly.
3. Must let the brine(salt solution) cool completely before soak the eggs or you may get bad eggs.
4. Please write down the date of making to prevent over or undersoaking. Seal the pot tightly and remember never touch the pot again during 25 days or you will get breaken yolks but not beautiful yolks.
5. Prefer use glass pot that you can see through, if eggs break up, remove the eggs and soak it with new brine.