Sunday, 2 December 2007
Chocolate chiffon cake 朱古力雪芳蛋糕
Chocolate chiffon cake is very welcomed by everyone with their softness and chocolate flavour. It is not difficult to do as you thought, if you get the right amounts and doing it in right way will ensure you get soft,moist, fluffy chocolate chiffon cake. I used it to do black forest cake.
Source: Jo's Deli And Bakery, Do What I Like, Lily Wai Sek Hong
A)3 small egg yolks (small egg weight 50g include shell)
110g flour (prefer cake flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
20g cacao powder ( Van Houten)
(B)3 small egg whites (small egg weight 50g include shell)
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven 190 degree celcious.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and cacao powder in a big mixing bowl. Add in egg yolks, sugar, oil and milk, whisk with hand until just combine and sugar is dissolved. Don't over mix.
3. In another clean and dry bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy, add in sugar and whisk at high speed till soft peak. Turn to medium speed and whisk till stiff peak, turn off. Don't overbeat.
4. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the batter, be gently and not deflate the egg whites.
5. Pour into (4) and fold gently .
6. Bake in 8" pan for 40-50 minutes. Invert the cake immediately after out of oven.
1. Be very careful when folding the egg whites or your cake will not rise high and soft as cotton.
2. Don't grease your pan when you bake chiffon cake or sponge cake, I lined my cake mould with parchment paper and it rise very well even it should be bake in aluminium pan.
3. If you don't have cream of tartar, subtitute it with vinegar or lemon juice. It can reduce the alkaline PH and you can beat the egg whites succesfully.