Sunday 2 December 2007

Kuih Talam Ubi Keledek 蕃薯椰絲糕



I have lots of sweet potatoes in my kitchen, don't know what to do but thinking of making something special and not too complicated. I found this recipe and I modified it and reduce the sweetness and everyone enjoy it.

Source: China Express

Ingredients:

400g sweet potatoes
150g tapioca flour
50g rice flour
150ml coconut milk
80g sugar ( it is not too sweet, please adjust)
200ml water
1tsp salt
some desicated coconut for topping

Methods:

1. Steam the sweet potatoes, mashed it and mix in the rest of ingredients except desicated coconut. Combine well.
2. Steam the batter over medium heat for 1/2 hour.
3. Cool completely and cut and top it with desicated coconut.

Notes:

1. My sweet potato is very sweet, pleas adjust the sweetness as you wished.
2. Please cover the lid to prevent water dripping.

2 comments:

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi QQ

I am so glad to come across ur blog. U have a very good list of south east asian recipes (esp malaysian/chinese kuihs and dim sums) which I can learn from :)

Btw this kuih recipe, is it similar to the kuih sagu or the steamed tapioca cake with shredded coconut? I love eating that kuih but it is difficult to get grated tapioca here in Antwerp. Good that you are using sweet potatoes cos I can get them easily. But how is the taste as compared to the steamed tapioca cake? Is it less chewy?


cheers
bee @EEWIF

QQ red apple said...

Hi Bee,

Thanks. Well kuih talam using sweet potatoes taste different if compare with tapioca or sago pearls. It is very soft and less chewy too. And you need really good quality of sweet potatoes to achive the good taste.
You can get frozen grated tapioca easily at chinese or suriname supermarkets. Or you can buy fresh or frozen tapioca and grate it by hand or food processor.
Personally I prefer kuih bingka ubi which using tapioca.