Friday 1 February 2008

Cucur Badak



A very very tasty, delicious malay snack in malysia. I have been missed malaysia for all the time and it is the main reason that I start my cooking and baking and also blogging. The filling that I make is also nice for pulut udang. I need to adjust the chilies as my 3 lovely toddlers can't eat spicy food.

Source: Mamafami, Hanieliza, Rasa Malaysia, Yasa Boga, Streetcookbook

Ingredients:

600g sweet potatoes, steamed, mashed
2 cups flour
(A) Pounded together
8 dried chilies, soak with hot water till soft
4 stalk lemongrass
10 shallots
6 pips garlics
4 candlenut/ kemiri
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp tumeric powder
(B)
120g dried shrimp, soak, drained, pounded
250g desicated coconut
4tbsp sugar
6 tbsp oil
dash of pepper

Methods:
1. Make the filling first, heat up oil and sauted the (a) ingredients till fragnant, add in pounded dried shrimp and stir fry till aromatic. Add the remaining ingredients and stir fry till dry. Set aside.
2. Steam sweet potatoes till soft, mashed it and add in flour when it is still warm and knead smooth.
3. Take a bits of dough, flatten it and wrap the filling in and seal it neatly. Repeat till done.
4. Heat oil, deep fry till golden colour and cooked.

Notes:
1. If you can't find dried shrimp, subtituded it with fresh prawn.
2. I can't find fresh grated coconut at here, I replace it with desicated coconut. But I add some water in step 1.
3. I omitted the dried chilies and I add some spices likes ground cumin, ketubar and belacan.

No comments: