We call these 'ooo teng huat kueh'(hokkien) or apam gula melaka in malays. My girls loves soft, fluffy, moist and fragnant cake likes fatt koh. It was so warm now and I'm too lazy to bake chiffon cake for them and I made these. It is very healthy and contains no oil at all---- good for the line.
Source: Amy Beh, Cheat Eat,
200g brown sugar or palm sugar
300g cake flour
60g rice flour
4tsp double action baking powder
1. Boil water and sugar together till sugar is dissolved. Leave to cool.
2. Arrange 10 tea cups or small tins in the steamer, bring water and let it boiled. At the same time, the tea cups/tins will be heated too.
3. Mix cake flour, rice flour and baking powder together and sift them 3 times.
4. Pour in the syrup and mix well till no lumps in the batter.
5. Make sure the water in the steamer is roaring boil, pour in batter to each cups/ tins to at least 80% full. Steam for 20 minutes over rapid boiling water.
1. Cover the lid with clothe to prevent water dripping to the huat kueh.
2. Do not open the lid for the first 10 minutes or you will get flat huat kueh.
3. If your steamer is small, steam it for twice. Make sure the water is roaring boiled.