Sunday, 3 June 2007
Siew Mai - Steam dumpling 燒賣
These is my homemade siewmai which in very healthy version cause it contains no monosodium and my kids love it so much. Every sunday, we will go to chinese restaurant with our family in law for "yum cha" and this is my kids' favourite dim sum.
Source: Lily Wai Sek Hong
20 pieces round wantan skin
300g minced meat
150g diced prawns
1 black mushroom, soaked and chopped finely
2 minced water chestnuts
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
A dash of pepper
1 egg white
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tbsp tapioca flour or cornflour
1. Combine the filling in a bowl.
2. Add in seasoning ingredients and combine well.
3. Mix it till sticky meat mixture.
4. Refrigerate the mixture for 40 to 60 minutes.
5. Put two teaspoons of the filling in the centre of each wantan skin.
6. Gather the edge of the wrapper together so that only the top of the filling is seen.
7. Place dumplings on a greased steaming rack and steam it for 12-15 minutes.
1. You may reduce 75g meat and replace it with minced fatty meat if you prefer more the texture likes you eat it at restaurant. But, personality I prefer no fatty meat.
2. Mix the mixture till sticky is for more bouncy meat.
3. I use chicken meat and it taste nice too.