Wednesday 2 April 2008

Croissant - Crescent Roll - 羊角麵包 - 可頌



A croissant or also known as crescent are made of a leavened variant of puff pastry by layering yeast dough with butter and rolling and folding a few times in succession, then rolling. Making croissants by hand requires skill and patience. It taste really nice and you may find it at any bakery. Some of them will sell it with fillings, but I prefer the plain one which I can taste the originale taste.

Source: Lily Wai Sek Hong

Ingredients

125g plain flour
375g bread flour
25g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp milk powder
1/2 tsp bread improver
11g instant dry yeast
1 egg
300ml cold water
50g softened butter

Combine and chill until slightly hard
80g butter
80g shortening

Glaze (beat together)
1 egg
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp water

Method:

1. Sift flours, add milk powder, sugar, salt, bread improver and yeast. Then stir in water, egg and butter, use a dough hook to beat till it turn into smooth and firm.
2. Remove, knead lightly on a floured table into a ball and cross in the center.
3. Put the combined butter and shortening in the cross, fold over each section to enclose the combined fat, press the sides to seal the edges. Ensure that the combined fat is completely enclosed.
4. Roll the dough to rectangle and fold the rectangle to a third of its size, by first folding up the bottom portion and then folding the top portion over it. Repeat.
5. Place the dough in a plastic bag dusted with flour. Chill for 30 minutes.
6. Roll and fold llike step 4 and chill it for 30 minutes. Repeat.
7. Roll out dough into rectangle, trim the edgesand cut lengthways into half. Cut and roll into cresent shape. Place on paper-lined baking pan and brush egg wash. Leave to rise till double size (about 30 minutes)
8. Brush egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 220 degree celcious for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool on wire racks.


Notes:

1. My husband asked me why I make crossaint at home while I can buy it at bakery or supermarket, he said I can buy the ready croissant and bake it at home which can save my time a lots. What he say is true, but I love to make my food by my own and when it is done----- it gave me a great satisfaction and more is when everyone enjoy it. Don't you agree with me??

No comments: