Monday 4 May 2009

Mini Egg Tarts 蛋撻




Egg Tarts, a popular chinese dim sum which made by pastry skin with custard filling. There are 2 types - (1) shortcrust pastry (more for western cuisine), and (2) puff pastry (more popular among chinese cuisine). I tried it both and personally I prefer chinese version which not so sweet. I made these tarts for my girl's birthday party at her school. I need to bake it twice as the first batch were eaten by my kids in a time.

Source: Agnes Chang

Ingredients:
(A)
150g flour, sifted
20g custard powder, sifted
30g icing sugar, sifted
60g shortening
2-3 tbsp water
(B)
90g flour
60g shortening
Filling:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
120g sugar
250ml warm water
1tsp vanilla
1tsp vinegar

Methods:
1. Mix (A) and divide 15 portions. In another bowl mix (B) and divided 15 portions.
2. Wrap B with A, roll into long shape, roll up likes swiss roll. Roll into a round piece and line onto moulds.
3. Mix the fillings until sugar is dissolve and strain. Pour the filling into moulds until 3/4 full.
4. Bake in a preheated oven 180 degree celcious for 15-20 minutes.

Notes:
1. I divided the pastry into 30 portions as I make it mini ones.
2. Adding vinegar is to create soft and shiny egg tarts filling. Don't use too much or less.
3. I used 100g sugar in stead of 120g sugar.
4. Dont bake too long or the filling will puffing up.

No comments: