Friday, 2 May 2008
Baked Nian Gao 烤年糕
Baked Nian Gao????? Huh? Are you kidding? No, baked nian gao is more cake-alike cake while traditionale nian gao contain only water/ coconut milk, sugar and glutinous rice flour. But, this version of baked nian gao is very easy, just combine all and bake it in the oven and it is still soft even days. It is worth to try!!!!!!!
Source: Frances Kai-Hwa Wang, chinese food.com, little corner of mine
16oz (450g) glutinous rice flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil
21/2 cup milk
1-13/4 cup sugar
1tbsp baking soda
1 can red bean paste
1. Mix everything except red bean paste, then half of the portion mixed with red bean paste.
2. Pour the plain batter into a greased- floured pan ,followed by red bean batter. Bake in preheated oven at 175 degree celcious for 40-50 minutes or till done.
1. I used light brown sugar in stead of sugar, it taste so nice.
2. The red bean layer taste really good.
3. This cake is a bit kuih texture, very interesting and taste totally different with traditionale nian gao.