Friday, 2 May 2008
Spekkoek, Indonesian Layer Cake, Lapis Lengit, Kek Lapis, 印尼千層蛋糕
Kek Lapis or known as spekkoek in dutch is very famous in south east asia. It is nice, and need a lots of patience to make it cause it needs to bake step by step.
Many of malays or indonesian will make it during new year. You can buy it too, but homemade one will taste better and healthier!!!!!! Yoga Bosa recipes need 30 egg yolks but by florence, it only needs 10 yolks and it is not so sweet!!!!! Thanks florence!!!!!!!!
Source: Yoga Bosa, Florence
250g butter (room temperature)
10 egg yolks
1tbsp rum or brandy
2tbsp sweet condensed milk
65g cake flour1tsp mixed spice
1/4tsp baking powder
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven for 175 degree celcious, lined a 17cm square pan with parchment paper, grease it and flour it with some flour.
2. Cream butter with 60g sugar till creamy.
3. In another bowl, beat egg yolk with 60g sugar till creamy and thick, stir in brandy/rum and sweet condensed milk.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed flour for twice. Set aside.
5. Mix the butter mixture and egg mixture well and fold in the flour. Set aside.
6. Beat egg whites with 30g sugar and cream of tartar till stiff.
7. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into step 5 and finally with the remaining 2/3 egg whites.
8. Use upper heat to grill the pan for 1 minute, pour 2tbsp batter and grill it for 4-5 minutes or till golden brown, remove from oven, prick some holes, and por 2tbsp of batter and grill till golden brown. Repeat till done.
1. Spread the batter evenly to ensure you get a nice pretty layered cake.
2. Please adjust the sweetness.