Friday, 3 July 2009
Yam Rice - Taro Rice - 芋头饭
Yam or better known as taro in US, Yam rice is a very common yet famous one bowl meal in chinese culture. I am craving for this meal since a long time. I bought a frozen yam in chinatown supermarket to try out the quality of yam. But, I am too lazy to cook or bake goodies, I used the frozen yam to cook this dish. Yummy, easy and nutritious!!!!!!!! It taste so nice till my kids begging me cook it again next weekend.
Source: Jo from saucing around, Amy Beh
2 rice cups(300g) of rice, washed and drained
4 shallots, sliced
20g dried shrimps, soaked and chopped
6 mushrooms, soaked and diced
300g yam, diced
4 tbsp oil for frying
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp light soy sauce
Few drops of sesame oil
Dash of pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp concentrated chicken stock
4 rice cups water
1.5 tsp dark soy sauce, for color when necessary
Chopped spring onions
1. Prepare all the ingredients as directed above.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Fry shallots till golden brown.
3. Add dried shrimps and fry till fragrant. Add in yam and mushrooms. Continue to fry till half-cooked.
4. Add rice and seasoning. Stir-fry to incorporate well.
5. Dish out to rice cooker, add water and boil rice as usual.
6. Serve rice hot with chopped spring onions spinkled on top.
1. You may add some meat into this dish.
2. You can use pumkin in stead of yam.
3. My grandmom always fry some bacon, dish out and sprinkle on top the yam rice just before serve.