Friday, 3 July 2009
Hainanese Chicken Rice 海南鸡饭
If you are in Malaysia or Singapore, you might see a lots of stalls, shops or food courts will sell this common rice dish. It is not expensive and worth to try once if you haven't eat it before and trust me, you will never forget it again. Homesick.... making this dish for my family cause it is easy, tasty and simple to do. Besides, I want to introduce it to my kids - it is quite pity if a chinese don't know their culture, food and etc. Hope you will likes it too.
Chicken and chicken broth:
1 whole chicken ( I used drumsticks)
5-6 scallion/spring onions
6 ginger slices
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 white peppercorns
3 cups rice (wash and drained)
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp salt
21/2 tbsp oil
6 cups chicken broth from above chicken broth
6 pandan leaves
Hainanese Chili Sauce:
1 tbsp lemon juice/lime juice
2 tbsp chicken broth from above
2 tsp sugar
some red chilies (finely chopped)
4 garlics, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1. Put all chicken broth ingredient and enough water into a pot, bring to boil, turn lower heat and simmer till the chicken is done. Don't overcook.
2. Remove chicken and immers in a basin of cold water. Save the chicken broth.
3. In a wok, heat oil, saute garlic till fragnant and put all the rice ingredients, transfer it into rice cooker to cook. Stir throughly before serving and remove pandan leaves.
4. Serve the rice and chicken with some cucumber slices and of course the chilies sauce too. Enjoy!
1. The reaon to saok the cooked chicken in a basin of cold water is to create the skin and meat just nice but not overcook and you may find out the skin is crispier.
2. I still have some chicken broth, I served it with rice as soup.