Tuesday 2 June 2009

Hokkien RIce Dumpling - Bak Chang & Brown Rice Savoury Dumpling 闽南肉粽 与糙米棕




Bak Chang, Rou Zong, Zhong, Savoury Rice Dumpling is a must for chinese during DragonBoat Festival. I'm in Netherlands, hard to buy this kind of rice dumpling. What I can buy at chinese stores is Cantonese rice dumpling which 'pillow' shaped rice dumpling season with five spice powder, wrapped with some meat, salted egg and nuts. I prefer this type Hokkien rice dumpling as all of my family likes it. The purpose that I wrap it is to let my children know chinese cultures and their food. Luckily they love it and begging me to make another batch again. I used this recipe since 3 years ago from Jo's Deli. Thanks Jo!!!!!!!!

Ingredients

1kg glutinous rice, soaked overnight then washed and drained well
Bamboo leaves and raffia string for wrapping

Filling:
400g belly pork (remove skin) or deboned chicken meat ( I used lean meat)
150g dried mushrooms (soak till soft)
200g dried chestnuts ( soak overnight)
10 salted egg yolks
100g dried prawns (soak till soft)
100g split green peas (soak till soft)
2 tsp chicken stock granules

Seasoning:
2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice powder
3 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp rice wine
3 tsp dark soya sauce
2-3 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic - chopped finely
6 shallots - sliced thinly

Method:
1. Soak bamboo leaves in boiling water overnight. Clean and wipe the leaves with a damp cloth.
2. Saute shallots and garlic until fragrant add in meat, dried prawns, chestnuts, mushrooms and seasoning. Stir well. Add 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp chicken stock granules. When pork is cooked, switch off fire and dish out filling ingredients.
3. Mix glutinous rice with 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp five spice powder, 1 tbsp dark soya sauce and 1 tsp salt. Stir thoroughly. Heat kuali and stir-fry seasoned glutinous rice till heated through. Remove to a big basin and stir in split green peas. Mix well.
4. Take two bamboo leaves, make them overlap slightly and fold into a conical shape. Put 1 tbsp rice into the funnel base. Add 1 tbsp filling and a piece of salted egg yolk. Cover with some more rice. Fold leaves over rice to form a triangular prism. Tie with raffia string.
5. Boil a large pot of water and add 2-3 tsp salt. Drop the bundles of dumplings in and boil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours over medium slow fire. Top constantly with boiling water to maintain level of water at all times. When cooked, remove the dumplings and hang to dry.

Notes:
1. You may subtituted blak eye peas in stead of splitted mung beans.
2. My dumpling just need 1 hour to cook, it is depend on how big your dumpling is.

4 comments:

chow and chatter said...

those look delicious adore Chinese food like your blog Rebecca

QQ red apple said...

hi Rebecca,
thanks, I hope I can share my experiences, recipes and basics with others too and also want to learn more from each other too. I think sharing is very important to keep every cultures to next generations too! Lots of greetings from QQ Red Apple.

Y said...

Stumbled across your site while trying to find a recipe for a cake from my childhood that I don't know the name of. Still haven't found it yet, but I just wanted to say that I love your site and the things you've made! They all look so delicious! :)

QQ red apple said...

Hi Y,
Thanks for leaving comments, and I'm very happy you likes my blog. Your website is much better !! If I compare my goodies with yours, I'm just the very very beginner whiles you are in advance! Your food are nice and pretty too!!!!!! Nice job. Regards and tulips from Rotterdam.