Tuesday, 2 June 2009
Hokkien RIce Dumpling - Bak Chang & Brown Rice Savoury Dumpling 闽南肉粽 与糙米棕
Bak Chang, Rou Zong, Zhong, Savoury Rice Dumpling is a must for chinese during DragonBoat Festival. I'm in Netherlands, hard to buy this kind of rice dumpling. What I can buy at chinese stores is Cantonese rice dumpling which 'pillow' shaped rice dumpling season with five spice powder, wrapped with some meat, salted egg and nuts. I prefer this type Hokkien rice dumpling as all of my family likes it. The purpose that I wrap it is to let my children know chinese cultures and their food. Luckily they love it and begging me to make another batch again. I used this recipe since 3 years ago from Jo's Deli. Thanks Jo!!!!!!!!
1kg glutinous rice, soaked overnight then washed and drained well
Bamboo leaves and raffia string for wrapping
400g belly pork (remove skin) or deboned chicken meat ( I used lean meat)
150g dried mushrooms (soak till soft)
200g dried chestnuts ( soak overnight)
10 salted egg yolks
100g dried prawns (soak till soft)
100g split green peas (soak till soft)
2 tsp chicken stock granules
2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice powder
3 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp rice wine
3 tsp dark soya sauce
2-3 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic - chopped finely
6 shallots - sliced thinly
1. Soak bamboo leaves in boiling water overnight. Clean and wipe the leaves with a damp cloth.
2. Saute shallots and garlic until fragrant add in meat, dried prawns, chestnuts, mushrooms and seasoning. Stir well. Add 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp chicken stock granules. When pork is cooked, switch off fire and dish out filling ingredients.
3. Mix glutinous rice with 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp five spice powder, 1 tbsp dark soya sauce and 1 tsp salt. Stir thoroughly. Heat kuali and stir-fry seasoned glutinous rice till heated through. Remove to a big basin and stir in split green peas. Mix well.
4. Take two bamboo leaves, make them overlap slightly and fold into a conical shape. Put 1 tbsp rice into the funnel base. Add 1 tbsp filling and a piece of salted egg yolk. Cover with some more rice. Fold leaves over rice to form a triangular prism. Tie with raffia string.
5. Boil a large pot of water and add 2-3 tsp salt. Drop the bundles of dumplings in and boil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours over medium slow fire. Top constantly with boiling water to maintain level of water at all times. When cooked, remove the dumplings and hang to dry.
1. You may subtituted blak eye peas in stead of splitted mung beans.
2. My dumpling just need 1 hour to cook, it is depend on how big your dumpling is.