Tuesday, 2 June 2009
Steamed Xi Pan - Steamed Hakka Glutinous Rice Flur Pancakes
Xi Pan in mandarin or hee pan in hakka is 喜粄, a old-fashion kuih which will be made to celebrate wedding. This kuih is pinkish colour, soft and a bit chewy steamed rice bun. You need to taste it once and will know what I mean. Quite interesting, but need to eat on that day, second day might not taste so good as it will be a bit harder and drier. I made these xi pan with my kids and enjoyed it, we are celebrating our new house is finally done, we get the keys!!!
Source: Aunty Yochana, Momster Cuppie Corner
1 tsp yeast
150g glutinous flour
1. Mix (A) and cover. Keep it overnight.
2. Mix (A) and (B), prove for another 4 hours or till double bulks.
3. Divided 50g each, rub with some oil and put on a piece greased banana leaf or greased paper. Let it proof for 15 minutes.
4. Steam medium heat for 15 minutes.
1. The kuih is a bit sweet to me, please adjust the amount if you don't like sweet.
2. The second proof in the recipe is 15 minutes, but I let it proof for 30 minutes before steam them.